[Wikimedia-l] Copyright infringement - The real elephant in the room

Laura Hale laura at fanhistory.com
Thu Nov 14 16:15:52 UTC 2013

On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 4:47 PM, Andrew Lih <andrew.lih at gmail.com> wrote:

> FYI, on the last Wikipedia Weekly podcast, we talked with Sage Ross about
> the plagiarism issue, and he walked through the study with some very
> interesting insights. Video here, and the discussion started at 11 minutes,
> 30 seconds into the podcast.

I've done a study of student contributions on English Wikinews.  We've
found that only about 15% of student submissions have a copyright issue.
 The level of plagiarism and copyright problems is about the same for
regular contributors, new contributors and student contributors on English
Wikinews with that range of 10 to 15%.  This is an issue we have to be on
top of because nothing gets published on the project without being reviewed
for this issue.

Sincerely,
Laura Hale

--