[Wikimedia-l] Copyright infringement - The real elephant in the room

Michael Snow wikipedia at frontier.com
Wed Nov 13 18:48:41 UTC 2013

On 11/13/2013 10:39 AM, Nathan wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 4:53 AM, Lodewijk <lodewijk at effeietsanders.org>wrote:
>> Marco: I agree, we had also issues on the Dutch Wikipedia - these have been
>> around for ages, the English Wikipedia is just less aware of them.
> Not sure if you meant this how it sounds, but the English Wikipedia
> community is acutely aware of copyright problems and have undertaken many,
> many large and complicated cleanup tasks of the sort Marco described.
I think he meant that the English Wikipedia community is less aware of
the fact that we face these sorts of large-scale challenges in many
other languages as well. In other words, the antecedent to "them" is
"issues on the Dutch/Italian/etc. Wikipedia", rather than "copyright
issues" generally. Most people participating in other languages are
reasonably aware when major concerns surface from the English Wikipedia;
people participating only in English often haven't a clue about the
concerns being dealt with in other languages.

--Michael Snow