[Wikimedia-l] Copyright infringement - The real elephant in the room

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 18:40:24 UTC 2013

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 3:48 AM, Fæ <faewik at gmail.com> wrote:

> PS with regard to OTRS verification, we could do with better standards
> for verification,

We are not attempting to perform a complete and unassailable verification;
imagining that we can is folly.

The point is, we need someone who credibly is the author or rightsholder,
and with whom we have an audit trail of their claims and identity (email
address we corresponded with, etc).

When it comes down to it, we have no idea if an email is associated with
the given person, that the alleged sender of a certified letter really is
that person, or that the "John Doe" that came in to the office and showed
valid government issued ID with a claim of copyright violation is the same
John Doe who wrote the original material.  There's no way for us to confirm
in any reasonable manner.

If there is an attempt at identity theft that is discovered, that audit
trail is available to investigators with proper legal authorization etc.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com