[Wikimedia-l] Copyright infringement - The real elephant in the room

Philippe Beaudette philippe at wikimedia.org
Wed Nov 13 10:16:07 UTC 2013

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 2:37 AM, Matthew Flaschen <
matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu> wrote:

> A significant problem with TurnItIn is that is proprietary, and can not be
> customized by anyone in the movement.  The fact that it is proprietary also
> means it can never be port of the main infrastructure, nor run on Wikimedia
> Labs.

Another significant issue is the "False Positive" factor that is created by
our overwhelming popularity.  Frankly, we're mirrored all over the place.
And tools like Turnitin find the mirrors too.  It's not an easy problem to
solve.  I was on the team that looked at this a couple of years back - it's
just not simple, and there are complex challenges.

*Philippe Beaudette * \\  Director, Community Advocacy \\ Wikimedia
Foundation, Inc.
 T: 1-415-839-6885 x6643 |  philippe at wikimedia.org  |  :
@Philippewiki<https://twitter.com/Philippewiki>