[Wikimedia-l] Attention needed for Croatian Wikipedia issue

Dalibor Bosits dalibor.bosits at gmail.com
Sun Nov 3 22:35:50 UTC 2013

Hello there,

I can not tell you right now what kind of assistance is needed as I do not
know what actions are available in the first place. Similarly, I do not
know who is in charge in such extreme situations. Currently the discussion
on the ongoing issues has mostly moved to the meta pages[1]. As far as the
proposed block is concerned, you can expect more on that topic from an
admin (Argo Navis) who was in that capacity in 2005-2009.

Dalibor

[1]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/2013_issues_on_Croatian_Wikipedia#Croatian_Wikipedia:_Cabal_of_admins_obstructing_de-sysop_voting

2013/10/29 Tony Souter <tony1 at iinet.net.au>

> This is a sadly common pattern among smaller WMF sites: a single editor or
> a group of self-supporting editors gains a foothold in the power structure
> and abuses the trust we put in admins. Just as in real life, this is
> typically accompanied by a xenophobic push, and a snowballing effect that
> ensures a grip on power.
>
> This degradation of the original wiki ethic is all too evident in at least
> one of the smaller English-language sites, so just what we might expect to
> find if we were to lift the linguistic veil over the many small sites in
> other languages makes one's spine shiver.
>
> Per Nathan, yes, specifics need to be stated, and as far as possible
> without emotion ... just the facts, and as briefly as possible.
>
> Understandably, the Foundation will try to stay out of any community
> "dispute" unless it becomes so toxic it can't be ignored in an interwiki
> sense. However, I think there's a role for WMF community relations staff to
> advise distressed parties and to be made aware of major conflicts on WMF
> sites – aside from anything else, we have yet to see legal action by a
> party who claims to be injured by other editors on a site, and that's
> something we would all like to forestall.
>
> Tony
>

> On 29/10/2013, at 5:12 AM, Nathan wrote:
>
> > Hi Dalibor,
> >
> > Could you describe what type of aid you are looking for, and how you
> think
> > it fits with the overall governing ethos of Wikimedia projects? (For
> > example, if you ask for WMF staff to intervene, would you argue that the
> > WMF can and should intervene in project disputes when one side makes a
> > request?).
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Nathan

Haley ;o)