[Wikimedia-l] First Wikimedia-related contributor Kickstarter?

Nathan nawrich at gmail.com
Sat Nov 2 03:04:34 UTC 2013

I think this particular campaign seems to be really well structured, which
is clearly part of why it has such substantial support. But as a general
rule, not all Kickstarters are created equal - yet many attract money
regardless. Now that this new trend is kicked off, I'm a little concerned
about future efforts to raise money using work on Wikimedia projects as a
hook.

I'd much prefer to see this kind of stuff get done through grants that
responsible organizations administer and monitor, rather than in a sort of
free for all with no accountability. It may be worth it to think about some
guidelines for when the WMF will intervene against fundraisers using
Wikimedia trademarks in future Kickstarter campaigns.