[Wikimedia-l] First Wikimedia-related contributor Kickstarter?

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Fri Nov 1 23:03:57 UTC 2013

That's the first one I have heard of.  Congratulations, Evan!  Kickstarters
such as this are fantastic, and I am glad to see it was successful.

The debate is (or should be) about paid advocacy, not paid editing.  Many
people are paid in part to help add free knowledge, often by popular
demand, to the commons.  Wiki-PR evaded the en:wp guidelines about paid
advocacy, published their own third-party articles to fake the appearance
of multiple independent sources, and used socks to hide their connection.
These are not comparable.

Sam.

Samuel Klein          @metasj           w:user:sj          +1 617 529 4266