[Wikimedia-l] Children and Simple English

James Alexander jamesofur at gmail.com
Fri May 31 05:57:01 UTC 2013

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 7:10 PM, James Salsman <jsalsman at gmail.com> wrote:

> Mathias Damour wrote:
>
> > The only sad thing is that it won't be launched in other languages
>
> There is a longstanding proposal to create simple language Wikipedias
> in languages other than English and France, but it remains to be seen
> whether it is compatible with the current narrowing focus austerity
> regime.

There has certainly been a long standing  request for simple wikis beyond
simple english (there is no simple french) but I have never seen any
denials from the foundation. It has, for years, been the community and the
language committee (created by the board but completely community) that has
denied it as 'not an official language code' (or 'not needed' )  and just
grandfathering Simple English in. Please don't bring your random dislike of
the 'narrowing focus austerity regime' into it just so that you can get it
on this thread too. There are enough reasons to dislike narrowing focus
decisions but lets only blame it for things it actually did :).

James