[Wikimedia-l] Children and Simple English

Mathias Damour mathias.damour at laposte.net
Thu May 30 19:18:44 UTC 2013

Le 30/05/2013 15:28, Sarah Stierch a écrit :
> No clue. I generally "translate" my articles in English to it and go about my business. We'd have to ask around.

Whereas children are included as Simple English Wikipedia (SEWP)
expected audience, repeated discussions [1] show that this project has
generally been quite ambiguous about being designed for children. It
does have valuable content that fit better to children than the standard
English Wikipedia, but is hardly put forward as an encyclopedia for
children.

Search engines and the most used one certainly reflects this
uncertainty. The query
http://www.google.com/search?q=Encyclopedia_for_children gets
kids.britannica.com, some paper encyclopedia on amazon.com and some
mirror sites of the standard english Wikipedia displayed as "for
children", but SEWP doesn't show up.

Hence the Wikikids proposal !
Our clue on fr.vikidia.org (one of the existing Wikikids-like project)
on it being actually used by children is the numerous messages they drop
on the Guestbook when invited to write "what they think of Vikidia" by a
sitenotice : http://fr.vikidia.org/wiki/Vikidia:Livre_d%27or : Many
thanks and enthusiasm ! :-)
The only sad thing is that it won't be launched in other languages (and
as a WM sister project) without your help and support (to fix the
proposal, ask questions, write a RFC...)

See :
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikikids
just set down :
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikikids/Relation_to_Simple_English_Wikipedia