[Wikimedia-l] SOPA related bill in Taiwan

Benjamin Chen bencmqwiki at gmail.com
Tue May 28 14:02:15 UTC 2013

On 28 May, 2013, at 9:43 PM, Ted Chien <hsiangtai.chien at gmail.com> wrote:

> (from what we have discussed on zh.wp, the Chinese
> community has agreed on such blackout, but the date is still on discussion)

For the record, I doubt if there is clear support/strong participation in the discussion. It is still to early to call it a consensus.

>  If we could implement such blackout, how soon it can be done?

(Speaking as a not-very-tech-savvy person) Depends on what exactly the community want to do. If we make use of CentralNotice's geo-targeting, it is very easy to implement a Taiwan-only blackout/site-notice/redirect-to-specific page etc. This involves no server side configuration change, volunteers will be able to get this done. The time consuming part is to write the banner and it's javascript, but that shouldn't take longer than a day of there is people willing to help.

Regards,

Benjamin Chen / [[User:Bencmq]]