[Wikimedia-l] Thoughts on Admin Rights on WMF Wiki (and other things)

ENWP Pine deyntestiss at hotmail.com
Sat May 25 21:35:27 UTC 2013

> Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 20:33:57 +0200
> From: "Federico Leva (Nemo)" <nemowiki at gmail.com>
> Cc: Gayle Karen Young <gyoung at wikimedia.org>
> Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-l] Thoughts on Admin Rights on WMF Wiki (and
> 	other things)
>
> Just in case someone wonders,
>
> Gayle Karen Young, 23/05/2013 06:22:
> > [...]  goal was to ensure that the function of a wiki
> > adminstrator, which is often identified with community self-governance, is
> > clearly mapped against the governance model of the site: [...] [...]
>
> doesn't answers the questions on the table at all. Especially as "the
> governance model of the site" doesn't exist at all and nobody has any
> idea of who is going to take care of it.
>
> Or in other words:
>
> Tomasz W. Kozlowski, 13/05/2013 02:04:
>  > Gayle Karen Young wrote:
>  >
>  >> Hello folks,
>  >
>  > [...]
>  >
>  >> Gayle
>  >
>  > So what did you want to say? I haven't been able to find any answers to
>  > any questions that have been asked by so many people in this thread.
>
> So, to quote yourself, you committed criticism and now you're insisting
> with stonewalling, with a flavour of defensiveness. I admit that my
> knowledge of Gottman is limited to a recent magazine article I read by
> chance a few days ago, so I may be wrong, but it seems to me that
> there's little room to do worse in this relationship.
>
> Nemo

Nemo, I think someone posted a list of good questions in this thread awhile
back. I tried to find them but I gave up after ten minutes. If you can find them
would you please repost them? If you can't find them either then I'd ask you
to repeat the questions that you remember and think are most important.

Gayle, I am going to be frank. I think I know a little more about you and
your work than the average member of this list does. I appreciate your
explanations and apologies, but I'm continuing to have a hard time with
this situation. With your many years of leadership experience, and in your
position as Chief Culture and Talent Officer, it's shocking that you would
implement such a significant change in the unprofessional way that you did,
and of all people I would have expected you and Philippe (Director of
Community Advocacy) to be acutely aware of our consensus-based culture
and how to implement changes in a diplomatic and professional way. This
situation has been a disaster for WMF-Community relations, and I'm sorry
to say that my feeling is that the credibility of you and Philippe has been
harmed beyond repair. Do you think you should continue to be WMF's
Chief Culture and Talent Officer? I have a hard time believing that you
should continue in that role after this disaster, but I want to hear your
point of view.

Thanks,

Pine