[Wikimedia-l] making tech journalism easier to read

Florence Devouard anthere9 at yahoo.com
Wed May 22 15:39:31 UTC 2013

Hi

My main suggestion (valid for all posts, technical or not) would be to
start with a clearly identified cap as summary. And put an extra effort
so that this cap is written in simple and straightforward message.

In that regards, this post is pretty good generally
http://blog.wikimedia.org/2013/05/20/flow-next-generation-discussion-system/

It gives a nice summary of the content of the post. It can be translated
easily. It provides information. The cap summary at the top could be
even better identified though.

On the other hand, this one
http://blog.wikimedia.org/2013/04/08/intro-to-the-statistics-of-ab-testing-with-wikimedia-fundraising-banners/
is quite "technical" in nature as well, but though very interesting, it
fails to pass the "summary" state.
The little paragraph at the top is not a summary of the post, but a text
putting the post in context.
I think this post would benefit from a two lines summary of the content
of the post itself.
Its design is 1) context, 2) development 3) conclusion.

One of the problems non English speakers face is that they are slower to
identify the "important" points. Stumbling over difficult words and
jargon is obviously not helping. A hard text will need to be read more
than one time to just "get the idea"

In this situation, it is very helpful to rather write in the following way
1) summary of the entire post with context, arguments and quick conclusion
2) expanded context
3) expanding on argument a
4) expanding on argument b
5) expanding on argument c
6) full conclusion

1) should be short sentences, simple sentences and as little jargon as
possible
2-6 can be more complex and detailed and links should be added to
provided additional context and explanation of jargon.

The only drawback of this solution is that the author will feel
frustrated if he wants to develop a story and use surprise/discovery
effects. But there are many benefits to counter balance this loss.

Flo

PS: who will point out though that the tech posts on the wikimedia blog
are actually quite good generally.