[Wikimedia-l] making tech journalism easier to read

MZMcBride z at mzmcbride.com
Wed May 22 01:55:40 UTC 2013

Sumana Harihareswara wrote:
>When you're trying to write a blog.wikimedia.org entry or
>wikitech-ambassadors email about a technical topic, but you want to make
>sure nontechnical Wikimedians can read it, is there an automated check
>you can run through?

I'd recommend doing what we do on the wiki to make topics easier or more
accessible: include a lot of links. The blog is worryingly low on links in
each post, given that it's the blog of Wikimedia, king of [[links]].
Perhaps linking needs to be made easier in WordPress?

I'm not sure there's much else to be said other than "avoid the use of
(unexplained) jargon and write clearly and concisely."

The Wikimedia blog is made up of several sub-blogs. The tech blog seems
like it would inherently be more... technical than the community blog or
the fundraising blog. Unless the larger issue is the audience question.
That's a bit of a rabbit hole, though.

MZMcBride