[Wikimedia-l] making tech journalism easier to read

Florence Devouard anthere9 at yahoo.com
Tue May 21 08:47:59 UTC 2013

On 5/21/13 5:45 AM, Sumana Harihareswara wrote:
> When you're trying to write a blog.wikimedia.org entry or
> wikitech-ambassadors email about a technical topic, but you want to make
> sure nontechnical Wikimedians can read it, is there an automated check
> you can run through?

<I can not help making that comment given the topic of your email, sorry>

I read this sentence at least 4 times, trying to figure out what you meant.

At first sight, I thought some words were missing (when... but... >>>
usually, a "when" is followed by a "then" not by a "but").

Then I realized that the "but" part was to be read as an additional
comment and that what matters was actually "when" followed by a
question. I then thought "is that a question to us" ? At second sight,
it actually looks to be a question to us. I started thinking "what is
meant by automated check" ???

I thought the next paragraph would bring some light on what you meant by
"automated check" so that it would become possible to answer your
question (just wanted to help...)

Last, I realize that the question was actually meant from you, to us.
But was supposed to be a point we were actually wondering about. And
that your email was actually an answer to this prospective question (in
case we might wonder). The question was not a question.

Actually the rest of the explanation uses only one expression that are
unknown to me ("whip up a script") but I am happy to say I understood
the general meaning. Still, I would suggest avoid weird sentences such
as "when... but... is there ?". Be straight to the point.

For information, the grade of your email is : Average Grade Level	8.7
(yeah !)
Which is good on the paper (sort of paper). But still was hard to
understand. I am still not quite sure what the goal of your email
exactly was :(

But I loved the link to http://www.readability-score.com/ :)

Flo

My own grade is 5.9...