[Wikimedia-l] All the lakes in Sweden

Anders Wennersten mail at anderswennersten.se
Thu May 16 17:36:00 UTC 2013

A new major botgenerating effort is now under way on sv:wp. All lakes
(30000, all down to ones of pondsizes with no name) is now produced
based on lake data from Swedish metereology institute and all lake
environment data from a newly set up authority demanded by EU, in order
to register and track all data of lakes in all Europe.

The articles are generated by AWB and with some manual effort to take
care of text in existing articles and a major effort taking care of all
with the same name (Little lake, Black lake etc)

Examples
http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%96ren,_Sm%C3%A5land
http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bunn

Also on maps from Google or Bing you can localize all lakes if you do
not know the name (and for the ones missing name)
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=http://toolserver.org/~para/cgi-bin/kmlexport%3Fproject%3Dsv%26article%3DKategori%253AInsj%2525C3%2525B6ar_i_J%2525C3%2525B6nk%2525C3%2525B6pings_kommun
or
http://www.bing.com/maps/?mapurl=http%3A%2F%2Ftoolserver.org%2F%7Epara%2Fcgi-bin%2Fkmlexport%3Fproject%3Dsv%26article%3DKategori%253AInsj%2525C3%2525B6ar_i_J%2525C3%2525B6nk%2525C3%2525B6pings_kommun

As you can see the text is substantial around 5000 characters and even
thing like fisharts in the lakes are generated from databases.

We are now starting to contemplate to put these type of basedata in
Wikidata (we are experimenting with this for some adm units), and to
generate the articles from that as a base instead of from database
extracted from the authorities and put on personal PCs

We have excellent relations with involved authorities that are really
happy with the result, and we are now being approached by other
authorites who wants to follow and get their data from theirs databases
used to generate qualified Wp articles (like all runestones, all
archaeological excavations sites, all artworks placed on official
grounds etc)

Are there any other effort like this going on, especially if any one
come further in establish links from authorities databased to wikidata?

Anders