[Wikimedia-l] AffComs $40,000 Hong Kong junket

Lodewijk lodewijk at effeietsanders.org
Tue May 14 07:34:01 UTC 2013

I don't think it is trivial either, and having a discussion is fine.
However, the bigger discussion is perhaps more relevant - because AffCom is
simply following WMF policy here, which is in place for many employees,
board members (and others? not sure).

So I think there are two relevant discussions to be had: First of all,
whether there should be an AffCom meeting at all. Fair question of course.
(analogous you could wonder if certain chapters should really send a
representative to Wikimania from their budget, whether certain employees
really should be there and whether all chapters should be present at the
Chapters meeting - all fair discussions to be had in their time, too). The
second relevant question is, in my opinion, whether the WMF travel policy
is good, proportional etc. This policy has mostly received criticism from
two sides - some think it is too elaborate, and WMF should get 'less
luxury' (again fair discussion, but we should then focus on the whole
question) - another criticism is that it should be equalized for all
Wikimedia-sponsored trips, including individual engagement grants, trips to
the chapters meeting etc. When this question was brought up last time, I
believe it was Sue who mentioned that this would simply result in much less
travel and participation. Again, a fair question.

Personally, I feel that WMF Committee (and board) members should not be
treated to a lower standard than staff members, simply because they are not
being paid for their work. But maybe I'm the only one in thát opinion
though...

Lodewijk