[Wikimedia-l] AffComs $40,000 Hong Kong junket

Russavia russavia.wikipedia at gmail.com
Mon May 13 21:30:05 UTC 2013

Hi Andrew et al

On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 5:03 AM, Andrew Lih <andrew.lih at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 1:05 PM, Michael Peel <email at mikepeel.net> wrote:
>
>> ...Paris and London are both more expensive cities that Hong Kong, so I'd
>> expect the daily rate here to be closer to $130/night, and ideally less
>> than that where bookings are made sufficiently in advance.
>

> Not to be a nit, but I wanted to point out that this biannual study shows
> otherwise.
>
> On this list of most expensive cities for hotel rooms, Hong Kong is #8,
> Paris is #9, and London is not in the top 10.
>
> http://travel.cnn.com/explorations/escape/costliest-hotels-list-637685

That list is for 5 star hotels; something that I hope that donor money
is never put towards covering the cost of; regardlessofwho itis.

But what is most interesting is at the bottom of the article you
linked to was this:

Also on CNN: Frugal nights: Decent, inexpensive hotels in Hong Kong
http://travel.cnn.com/hong-kong/sleep/frugal-indulgence-nice-cheap-hotels-hong-kong-497905

The Tsim Sha Tsui area of Hong Kong around the university is packed
jam of decent lodgings, that are a far sight cheaper than the $200 per
night being budgeted for at the Regent.

Russavia