[Wikimedia-l] Go away, community (from WMF wiki at least)

Florence Devouard anthere9 at yahoo.com
Mon May 13 18:32:06 UTC 2013

On 5/13/13 6:39 PM, Dariusz Jemielniak wrote:
> hi Florence,
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Sock_puppetry
>
> sockpuppeting is using more than one account in the same time. There are
> legitimate situations when users have a new account set up (e.g. after
> forgetting a password). Also, some users have multiple accounts for privacy
> reasons. Finally, we also have a clean start policy, which is not
> considered improper.

Eh. I know... I was joking Dariusz. As in ... trying to lighten the
smoky atmosphere :)

Because I disagree with Philippe on his current stance and I think his
advice to Gayle was no good advice. But I love the guy 100% (or even
more than 100% since I discovered he had a big boy...) so I can live
with our disagreement anyway and forgive him for the bad move.

> Regarding the whole crisis now, and in particular in relation to wiki (not
> blog) I believe that two things need to be separated: the decision to get
> rid of community admins from wiki, and the way it was enforced.
>
> I think I'm quite neutral to the decision itself. If it is a WMF wiki, and
> if indeed there were some problems with staff being overridden by
> volunteers, I think it may perhaps make some sense to leave it to WMF.
> However, the way this change was introduced was definitely poorly planned,
> badly communicated (and not announced ahead of time), occasionally harsh,
>   quite insensitive. Also, clearly, some discussion ahead of time would be
> good - both to let people know, but also to let the community think about
> addressing the problems related to it, too.
>
> I believe that especially Gayle, but also Philippe, have expressed their
> sincere apologies for the way things turned out, and for their
> unthoughtfulness prior to going through with the plan. Gayle also promised
> to reflect more on the issue once she gets back to the office. I think that
> this is quite a good way to deal with the problem.
>
> best,

Exactly. Well put.

Flo