[Wikimedia-l] Go away, community (from WMF wiki at least)

Dariusz Jemielniak darekj at alk.edu.pl
Mon May 13 16:39:04 UTC 2013

hi Florence,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Sock_puppetry

sockpuppeting is using more than one account in the same time. There are
legitimate situations when users have a new account set up (e.g. after
forgetting a password). Also, some users have multiple accounts for privacy
reasons. Finally, we also have a clean start policy, which is not
considered improper.

Regarding the whole crisis now, and in particular in relation to wiki (not
blog) I believe that two things need to be separated: the decision to get
rid of community admins from wiki, and the way it was enforced.

I think I'm quite neutral to the decision itself. If it is a WMF wiki, and
if indeed there were some problems with staff being overridden by
volunteers, I think it may perhaps make some sense to leave it to WMF.
However, the way this change was introduced was definitely poorly planned,
badly communicated (and not announced ahead of time), occasionally harsh,
 quite insensitive. Also, clearly, some discussion ahead of time would be
good - both to let people know, but also to let the community think about
addressing the problems related to it, too.

I believe that especially Gayle, but also Philippe, have expressed their
sincere apologies for the way things turned out, and for their
unthoughtfulness prior to going through with the plan. Gayle also promised
to reflect more on the issue once she gets back to the office. I think that
this is quite a good way to deal with the problem.

best,

Dariusz ("pundit")