[Wikimedia-l] Go away, community (from WMF wiki at least)

Keegan Peterzell keegan.wiki at gmail.com
Mon May 13 07:18:47 UTC 2013

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 2:03 AM, James Alexander <jamesofur at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 12:00 AM, Peter Southwood <
> peter.southwood at telkomsa.net> wrote:
>
> > Lets get a few things in perspective:
> > 1. How many community members were abusive/unreasonable/whatever beyond
> > what might be considered a startle reaction to an apparent attack without
> > warning?
> > 2 How many people constitute this community
> > Divide answer 1 by answer 2
> >
> > Consider how much of the response was a snowball effect of frustration
> due
> > to a distinct shortage of explanation and direct answers to what might be
> > considered reasonable questions.
> >
> > And yes, "Welcome to Wikipedia "
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Peter
> >

> 2 is an unreasonable number to divide by when it's such a small cross
> section of the actual community on these lists.
for a pretty good cross section of thoughts/feelings/opinions of the
movement.  I've refrained from this discussion and will continue to do so
on specifics, because it's politics and that's not something I do on
Wikipedia/Wikimedia.

Things have been said in this discussion that I agree with, things have
been said that I do not agree with.  All in all, my opinion is not needed
because it has been expressed by others, and I do not feel compelled to say
my side.  This is where we speak and we listen, and it is disheartening to
read that you feel embarrassed to be from the community when you have to
explain "drama" to them.

These threads bring out the best and the worst in Wikimedians, for certain,
but it's all out of cause of passion.  We're here because we care, no
matter the pattern or the tone of conversations.  This is a global
audience, intelligent, collaborative, and willing to learn.  The Wikimedia
Foundation is global, intelligent, and I assume good faith about
collaboration and willingness to learn.  Gayle's email reflects her opinion
on getting this concept and working with it in the future, and I'm happy
with that.

All in all, I guess I just agree with Phoebe.

--
~Keegan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Keegan