[Wikimedia-l] Affiliations Committee 2012 Annual Report

Gregory Varnum gregory.varnum at gmail.com
Sun May 12 17:47:19 UTC 2013

Nemo,

I'm not sure what you mean by a single person's POV.  Are you referring to Stephen?

While it is true that WMF Legal did the final writing of some guidelines - a few points:
1. They are guidelines - and AffCom has flexibility if it so desires and finds necessary.
2. They were written based on feedback from non-AffCom folks on talk pages, Milan, and elsewhere - as well as based on input from AffCom.
3. Naming guidelines exist for chapters and other entities - this is nothing new.
4. A final summarizing guideline or document being written by one person with unique skills, such as legal, is also nothing new, unusual, or implies that only their views are represented - that's just not true.

- greg aka varnent