[Wikimedia-l] movement blog, not WMF blog, was: Go away, community (from WMF wiki at least)

rupert THURNER rupert.thurner at gmail.com
Sat May 11 18:45:47 UTC 2013

On Sat, May 11, 2013 at 7:11 PM, Tomasz W. Kozlowski
<tomasz at twkozlowski.net> wrote:
> I'm not going to respond to all the points raised in your e-mail, Sue
> (partially because most of them are just too general), so let me just
> mentioned some of them.
>
>On Sat, May 11, 2013 at 6:48 PM, Sue Gardner <sgardner at wikimedia.org> wrote:
>> The editors are responsible for the projects: the Wikimedia Foundation
>> knows that, acknowledges it, and is deeply appreciative (as are all
>> readers) for the work that volunteers do in the projects. The Wikimedia
>> Foundation is responsible for the Wikimedia Foundation wiki (and the
>> blog).
>
> Then it should perhaps be renamed as the Wikimedia Foundation Blog With
> Guests Post from Community Members.

uh ... i never noticed this. it seems really that WMF is considering
blog.wikimedia.org as "their" personal blog. it even says "(This is a
guest post by Carol Ann O’Hare of the French Wikimedia chapter.)" e.g.
here:
http://blog.wikimedia.org/2013/05/10/wikimedia-france-research-award-winner/

while the domain http://www.wikimedia.org/ contents clearly states
"Wikimedia is a global movement whose mission is to bring free
educational content to the world."

i would have expected a "movement blog" behind this URL, appropriate
to the usage of the domain, but i am not sure if i am completely
misreading this?

rupert, wondering ...