[Wikimedia-l] Go away, community (from WMF wiki at least)

MZMcBride z at mzmcbride.com
Sat May 11 15:04:08 UTC 2013

Leslie Carr wrote:
>> * Shell access has been restricted to staff only (no more volunteer
>> sysadmins).
>
>Someone better tell that to domas and his ssh key.
>
>As someone tasked with protecting the servers, ssh keys should be
>restricted as much as possible, both with staff and volunteers. that is
>technical and not political.

That was just sloppy wording on my part, apologies. Shell/root access has
been indeed been restricted to staff only. About four users have been
grandfathered in (Domas, Jens, River, Robert S.). I'll note that these
users have all contributed an enormous amount (for free!) to the Wikimedia
movement. They deserve only our appreciation for the volunteer work
they've done. And they serve as a model of what trusted volunteers can do.
Please don't suggest that this has anything to do with technical
decisions. Even a child can see that this is pure politics.

Leslie, do you agree with these policies that remove all non-staff from
positions of trust? Do you agree with creating tiers between staff and
everyone else?

MZMcBride