[Wikimedia-l] Russian Wikipedia in blacklist trouble again

Anthony Cole ahcoleecu at gmail.com
Thu May 9 11:19:59 UTC 2013

In your hypothetical case of Russian only being spoken in one country that
censors "how to smoke marijuana" information:

If you insist on leaving a paragraph on "how to make a bong" in the
Russian-language "Marijuana smoking" article, then the article won't be
accessible to 140,000,000 people; if you remove that paragraph (and any
others that are censored), the article, and its information about
psychosis, respiratory effects, geographic distribution, history,
correlation with tobacco smoking, gateway to harder drugs hypothesis, etc.
will be available to 140,000,000 people.

We would be failing in our mission to disseminate educational information
effectively and globally if, due to an ideological attachment to
NOTCENSORED, we took the former option.

If, however, there is a significant population outside Russia whose first
language is Russian, and who don't read one of the other main Wikipedia
languages, it's a more difficult decision. Do we deny them the bong-making
instructions so as to provide the remainder of the article to the Russian
readers?

I know what I'd do in that example. But my attachment to NOTCENSORED
doesn't trump my attachment to our mission.