[Wikimedia-l] Russian Wikipedia in blacklist trouble again

Anthony Cole ahcoleecu at gmail.com
Wed May 8 19:46:29 UTC 2013

Russian is an/the official language in Belarus, Kazakhstan, Tajikistan,
Abkhazia, South Ossetia, Moldova, and Romania, and spoken in yet other
parts of the world. If Russian was only spoken within the borders of
Russia, then tailoring the articles to that country's censorship laws would
be pragmatic - at least they'd get something about marijuana smoking.

But I think the significant number of Russian-speakers outside Russia kind
of obliges us to just write good NPOV articles and let the Russian
authorities do what they want.