[Wikimedia-l] WikiReaders4Kids

Everton Zanella Alvarenga tom at wikimedia.org
Sun May 5 15:46:22 UTC 2013

That is a cool project. Congrats, Victor.

I've a wikireader with me someone gave a few years ago. Have someone tried
to install a Wikipedia of another language? I will try <
http://dev.thewikireader.com/language-packs/> sometime soon (alguém da WMBR
com mais tempo, se quiser, fale comigo).

What about using their software <http://thewikireader.com/> on Linux? If
you were successfull with that, please, let me know. Their apps are just
for Windows and Mac stuff.

I'll check if'd possible to have these machines sold somehow in South
America. Ideas? At least we still don't have at our recent Amazon <
http://www.amazon.com.br/> site.

Maybe it would be good to suggest wikireader producers to have the hardware
source open as well, if that don't make they go bankrupt. Who knows we
could produce locally.

Tom

On Sun, May 5, 2013 at 1:27 AM, Victor Grigas <vgrigas at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> My partner and I just started a campaign on Indiegogo.com to raise funds to
> buy all remaining WikiReaders and distribute them to schools and kids in
> places that don't have internet at no charge to the schools and kids.
>
> The campaign is here:
> http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/help-us-distribute-wikireaders-to-kids
>
> The video is here:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j07ROeiaFg0
>
> Please consider funding the campaign and if you can't fund the campaign,
> please share the link with others!
>
> While I am an employee of the Wikimedia Foundation, I am doing this
> entirely as a volunteer.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
>
> *Victor Grigas*
> Storyteller <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Knv6D6Thi0>
> Wikimedia Foundation
> vgrigas at wikimedia.org
> +1 (415) 839-6885 x 6773
> 149 New Montgomery Street 6th floor
> San Francisco, CA 94105
> https://donate.wikimedia.org/

Everton Zanella Alvarenga (also Tom)
"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful
than a life spent doing nothing."