[Wikimedia-l] UK.Gov passes Instagram Act

Andrew Gray andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk
Fri May 3 07:35:48 UTC 2013

On 2 May 2013 11:25, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com <javascript:;>> wrote:
> On 2 May 2013 11:24, geni <geniice at gmail.com <javascript:;>> wrote:
>
>> However orphan works legislation is a hack designed to allow long
copyright
>> terms to keep working without upsetting even more people. Its of no use
>> us.
>
> I think you're wrong there. But it's an arguable point, not one that
> goes either way.

I would agree it's a hack, but there are two major advantages to having it:

a) it's a hack that *works*, and will produce results. It may not work for
us, not directly, but it will enable content to be made available where it
previously could not be. Free licensing is exactly the same thing - a hack
to allow us to do what we want within the framework of the existing law,
rather than a fundamental change to the underlying system.

b) it's a start. We will have it, the sky won't fall, and in ten years time
we can say - look, the sky didn't fall, the principle is now accepted, how
about we refine the process?

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk <javascript:;>