[Wikimedia-l] [Fundraising 2013] Wikimedia France stepping back from payment processing

Bishakha Datta bishakhadatta at gmail.com
Thu May 2 18:02:26 UTC 2013

On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 3:30 PM, Fae <faewik at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm hoping that the WMF can set a lead by publishing a calculation of
> admin ratio for themselves. ;-)
>
> PS staff salaries are not all automatically 'admin', I hope we can
> agree that some
> program activities are entirely justifiably supported by paid staff
> and contractors.
>
> This is tangential to the main thread, but relevant to this point. Fully
agree that all staff salaries are not automatically 'admin'. Some
institutional donors outside the wikiverse are now asking for
activity-based budgets instead of traditional line item budgets to separate
salaries into 'admin' and 'programmatic'. So in this kind of budget, a
programmatic salary is budgeted under that programmatic activity along with
other program components as programmatic input (and often called a 'program
resource', rather than a salary, which is somewhat vague.)

But just wanted to make the point that donors are recognizing this issue
overall, specially since some program activities are labour or
human-intensive.

Best
Bishakha