[Wikimedia-l] UK.Gov passes Instagram Act

Tomasz Ganicz polimerek at gmail.com
Thu May 2 08:12:57 UTC 2013

2013/5/2 geni <geniice at gmail.com>:
> On 2 May 2013 04:06, shi zhao <shizhao at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> see http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/04/29/err_act_landgrab/
>>

> Dude this is Wikimedia-l. Home to rather a lot of copyright nerds. If there
> was actually a significant problem with the law don't you think we would
> have raised the issue back when it was first proposed?
>
> Seriously I've seen this topic floating around on various photography
> sites. Any idea who is behind the campaign and why?

Actually in Poland there is a public discussion about adoption of EU
directive about orphan works in which we are active together with
several other NGO's workong together under umbrela of Coalition for
Open Education:

http://koed.org.pl/blog/2013/04/30/dziela-osierocone-i-dziela-niedostepne-w-handlu-stanowisko-koalicji-otwartej-edukacji/

Although EU directive is not very good for us - the EU countries still
have some freedom how to adopt it to its local law. Therefore as part
of our involvement in public discussion we wrote a detailed opinion
how it could be adpoted in Poland to make orphan works as freely as
possible available...

http://koed.org.pl/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/stanowisko_KOED_dziela_osierocone.pdf

Probably substantial part of it could be used in other EU countries as well...

--
Tomek "Polimerek" Ganicz
http://www.ganicz.pl/poli/