[Wikimedia-l] Human-assisted machine translation (it was: "The case for supporting open source machine translation")

Fred Bauder fredbaud at fairpoint.net
Wed May 1 12:33:07 UTC 2013

All European languages, with the exception of Basque, are essentially one
language with different vocabulary. MT should generally work, but needs
help as the example shows. The big, and perhaps insurmountable, problem
comes with trying to use it with say, Hopi, which assigns meanings in a
wholly different way.

Fred