[Wikimedia-l] Mid-Year Financial Statements

Garfield Byrd gbyrd at wikimedia.org
Thu Mar 21 00:30:29 UTC 2013

Thomas:

Our plans for the reserve are included in the "WMF Frequently Asked
Questions (FAQs) for the 2010-11 Audited Financial Statements":

*The cash balance has increased from $12 million to over $21 million. What
is the *
*Wikimedia Foundation's view on its increasing cash reserve?*
*
*
*The Wikimedia Foundation wants to have an appropriate amount of cash in
reserve.  *
*This is important for stability and the overall financial health of the
organization. *
*A nonprofit wants to ensure it has a sufficient amount of cash available
to it, so that it doesn't *
*face a crisis in the event that unforeseen costs arise, or that an
external or internal event hurts its ability to fund-raise.*
*Different non-profits have different levels of reserves: it is common for
young or very *
*small non-profits to have as little as a few months' spending available in
their reserve *
*fund and while others may have as much as three years' spending in theirs.
There is no *
*generally accepted consensus on what size of reserve is appropriate but
the Wikimedia *
*Foundation has been able to grow its reserve over time. The current
reserve represents *
*less than one year of funding, at our current spending level. We believe
that's *
*appropriate for a growing non-profit of our size and age, with our goal to
have one year *
*of operating funding available over time.*

Each of our annual plans, including the Wikimedia Foundation Annual Plan
for 2012 - 2013<http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/foundation/4/4f/2012-13_Wikimedia_Foundation_Plan_FINAL_FOR_WEBSITE.pdf>
on
page 54, show that the reserves of the Wikimedia Foundation are built up
intentionally consistent with the above statement. Any surplus from
operations are in addition to the planned growth in the reserves of the
Wikimedia Foundation.

Regards,

Garfield