[Wikimedia-l] Fwd: [Toolserver-l] [TS logo] Fwd: Free as in Wikimedia Foundation

James Alexander jamesofur at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 19:17:11 UTC 2013

I somewhat agree here with the statements on the tool-server thread. I'm a
big confused by the big anger about the registration to be honest... I
understand that we want things to be as free as possible but when it's
representative of the movement or the community having some kind of
protection seems good not bad. We've always had this anger against any kind
of protection despite also being angry about misuse (mostly by  people
outside of the community) which can not be defended against easily without
'some' kind of protection.

It's public domain, and always has been, but it's also been a logo on one
of our projects long enough that it's been a common law trademark for ages.
The main argument seems to be that it should be available for use and reuse
by the community, which I'm in no way against, but we can't even have
minimal restrictions on it without claiming trademark. This idea that it
should be 'reserved for the community' as many people have asked actually
almost requires a tm claim. It seems like the argument should be much more
about what type of restrictions we want placed on it (or not placed on it).

The legal department may not always do what I think is best or be the
smoothest at explaining but none of us are (I certainly am not!). However,
there is no doubt that they ALWAYS mean to do what is best for the
community and the projects. I have never heard one decision made where that
wasn't a central reason for doing it. The amount of bad faith some people
have been showing in this discussion is depressing.

James