[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia (Foundation) endowment

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 20:52:17 UTC 2013

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 9:53 AM, MZMcBride <z at mzmcbride.com> wrote:
> I continue to think that we (as a community) are still not at a place
> where we can make good judgments about whether to set up an endowment.
> There simply isn't enough information available to make a sound decision,
> in my opinion. That said, the idea of creating an endowment does seem like
> an idea that has broad support for further consideration and exploration,
> which is why I think an investigative or exploratory committee would make
> a lot of sense here and now. Thoughts?

I have seen some good criticisms, which I tend to disagree with but I
think are very healthy to explore and discuss.

I think that an exploratory committee is an excellent idea.  I think
that, regardless of what form it takes, preserving the data and its
history and editability for future generations and the benefit of
humankind writ large is a goal I think it would be good to get
consensus around and then start some thinking / planning.

If an Endowment helps that, then it's worth examining more closely.
If it hurts that, then perhaps not.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com