[Wikimedia-l] Setting up a Wikimedia Trust (was: Endowment)

Nathan nawrich at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 15:48:30 UTC 2013

Thanks Anders. Perhaps what I'm not understanding is what difference
having a separate, distinct Trust would make to your nightmare
scenario. Since the Wikimedia Trust that Nemo proposed wouldn't own or
control any Wikimedia property (the websites, the servers, the
trademarks), I'm still not really seeing why it would be better than
just having the WMF raise an endowment fund of its own.

If it's just about an unrelated organization keeping mirrors of WMF
data, then anyone can do that and it certainly doesn't need to be a
Wikimedia Trust - in fact, it's something better suited to
crowdsourcing and existing philanthropic organizations.