[Wikimedia-l] WikiVoyage Association as a thematic organization

Bence Damokos bdamokos at gmail.com
Sun Mar 10 18:18:38 UTC 2013

Dear all,

I wanted to update you on behalf of the Affiliations Committee that we are
now considering the application of a proposed thematic organisation to
support WikiVoyage, the WikiVoyage Association, the erstwhile stewards of
the project.

You can see the proposal at:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikivoyage_Association

We would like to invite you to participate in the discussions, express your
interest to join the organisation and inform your home communities about
this proposal. In particular, we would like to encourage people from around
the world to apply for membership to represent the diversity of the
Wikivoyagers.

We will be monitoring the talk page at
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikivoyage_Association to see if there
is any new information that might influence the recognition process.
If you have any related information you would like to share with the
committee privately, please write to <affcom at lists.wikimedia.org>.

----
A bit of background:
Wikimedia thematic organisations are a new type of movement organisation,
that are similar to chapters in supporting the Wikimedia mission through
their activities in the real world, but instead of focusing on a given
country, they focus on a given topic or theme.
For more information please see:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Thematic_Organizations.

Usually we send out announcements of new thematic organisation applications
roughly in the middle of the recognition process to allow the wider
community to express any concerns they might have and to be able to join
the organisation when it is founded. This is done in the hope that it will
help new organisations reach critical mass earlier and that the wider
community is informed about emerging entities in the movement.

Next steps in the process include the review of the organization's bylaws,
and the finalization of the standard thematic organization agreement,
before AffCom will be able to make a recommendation to the Board of
Trustees to recognize the thematic organization.

Best regards,
Bence
(Chair, Affiliations Committee)