[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation's non-disclosure agreement

Tim Starling tstarling at wikimedia.org
Wed Mar 6 23:57:48 UTC 2013

On 07/03/13 10:00, MZMcBride wrote:
> Sarah Stierch wrote:
>> Most organizations don't walk around releasing their NDA's. In fact, I
>> don't know a single organization that would engage people to do so. And
>> even though WMF is WMF, I don't think it's bad for it to hold onto some
>> professional practices like that. It's common practice, in the States,
>> for non and for profits to do. I always thought it was funny that NDA's
>> existed at WMF just because of the openness, but, at the same time, it's
>> industry standard and doesn't phase me. People should be glad WMF has one.
>
> Generally I'd agree that it'd be an unusual request. On the other hand, if
> the Wikimedia Foundation is requiring certain _volunteers_ to sign
> non-disclosure agreements, I think that changes matters.

As far as I can tell, there's nothing in the volunteer confidentiality
and copyright agreement that prevents volunteers from disclosing the
text of the agreement. So anyone who's signed it could just post it to
meta, assuming they kept a copy. It's probably protected by copyright,
but you can always post the relevant excerpt and claim fair use.

-- Tim Starling