[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation's non-disclosure agreement

MZMcBride z at mzmcbride.com
Wed Mar 6 23:43:36 UTC 2013

Nathan wrote:
>Just out of curiousity, MZ, what is your interest in the text of the
>NDA? Anyone required to abide by one has seen it and knows what the
>terms are, and no one who hasn't seen it is bound by it. So other than
>just being curious, is there are particular reason you want to know
>more about it?

It came up in the context of Bugzilla adminship for me. On rare occasion,
I've also heard threats (or admonitions, I guess) from Wikimedia
Foundation staff about colleagues possibly violating the non-disclosure
agreement. This of course led to: what are the exact terms of the
Wikimedia Foundation's non-disclosure agreement?

Though as I learn more about who is and isn't required to sign an NDA
(combined with the lack of a public rationale for making any volunteer
sign one), it's become more perplexing and intriguing. It's similar to the
"Identification noticeboard" in some ways, which is almost equally
entirely arbitrary about who is and isn't required to identify themselves
to the Wikimedia Foundation.

MZMcBride