[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation's non-disclosure agreement

Sarah Stierch sarah.stierch at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 16:43:26 UTC 2013

Just a quick note - while I was a fellow, I don't remember signing a
NDA. I think people who did surveys had to (researchers, staff members,
whatever) depending on the type of information they'd be gathering from
people. Or, of course, the type of database you'd be given access too
(i.e. it makes sense that maybe someone from analytics or grantmaking
<depending on the role> would have to sign an NDA versus someone from
the education program).

Most organizations don't walk around releasing their NDA's. In fact, I
don't know a single organization that would engage people to do so. And
even though WMF is WMF, I don't think it's bad for it to hold onto some
professional practices like that. It's common practice, in the States,
for non and for profits to do. I always thought it was funny that NDA's
existed at WMF just because of the openness, but, at the same time, it's
industry standard and doesn't phase me. People should be glad WMF has one.

-Sarah

On 3/5/13 11:34 PM, K. Peachey wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 5:11 PM, MZMcBride <z at mzmcbride.com> wrote:
>>> As far as I know the relevant issue is that anyone who has access to
>>> private personal information of users needs to sign an agreement that
>>> they will not share that information.
>> This definition doesn't seem to include CheckUsers, oversighters, OTRS
>> volunteers and OTRS administrators, wiki administrators, and many others,
>> so I'm not sure it's accurate.
> (OTRS Wise) That may be a historical thing and queue dependant, I know
> the gentlemen from OTRS (Martin?) had to sign one before he could
> start work on updating the foundation's install

*Sarah Stierch*
*/Museumist and open culture advocate/*