[Wikimedia-l] Fwd: [Commons-l] FOP in Europe: does this include WWII monuments with art?

Jane Darnell jane023 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 08:24:55 UTC 2013

Hi Fae,
Thanks for your thoughts. I think the problem is one of definition of
terms. I checked out the links you listed and they are all
interesting, but I don't believe any of them are applicable to the
case of war monuments and memorials. I think war monuments and
memorials are by definition intended to keep the public aware of the
human sacrifices made in the past in any given municipality.
Therefore, when an artist (who is often a local artist) is given the
commission to create such a memorial, that person sees the commission
as a public honor and relinquishes copyright of any images of the
memorial to the municipality in question. I think there is a huge
difference between a municipal monument for "the tomb of the unknown
soldier" versus a private monument for the "tomb of a specific
soldier". I don't know if anyone ever asked Maya Lin what she thought
of the whole controversy, but it would definitely be worth finding
out.

As far as the Netherlands go, they can probably obtain permission from
heirs or living artists in the usual Commons way, which is doable I
think, since it's such a small country and the war memorials are all
so well documented. I think I will try to do this for Haarlem as a
test case, since for Haarlem, this one is important:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Man_voor_het_Vuurpeleton2.jpg

As far as educational importance goes, I think the whole list here:
http://www.ushmm.org/research/center/encyclopedia/

is worthy of a Commons photo project, and I really doubt any artist
involved would object to photos of such monuments being on Wikipedia.

Jane
Jane