[Wikimedia-l] [Commons-l] FOP in Europe: does this include WWII monuments with art?

Jane Darnell jane023 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 2 20:55:20 UTC 2013

Thanks for sharing! If I browse the categories here:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Monuments_and_memorials_of_World_War_II_by_country

It seems there are plenty of photos with what appears to be
sculptures. I guess the risk of being slapped with a copyright
violation in these cases is pretty low. After all, if you created the
artwork or were an heir of someone who did, it would be pretty
tasteless to object, I guess.

I think the problem we are facing is that we cannot now sponsor such
uploads, as WMNL. So, it's fine if people do this on their own with no
encouragement from us, but until this whole issue is resolved we
cannot actively solicit such photographs from the volunteer community,
knowing there's a chance they can be deleted. I think in the case of a
photo contest, any copyvio deletion is one too many.

Jane