[Wikimedia-l] Provisional Wikimedia Kenya no longer a chapter

Asaf Bartov abartov at wikimedia.org
Fri Mar 1 23:48:39 UTC 2013

On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 3:38 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mar 1, 2013 11:27 PM, "Michael Peel" <michael.peel at wikimedia.org.uk>
> wrote:
> >
> > Yes, I had read the email to the Kenyan list. My questions took that
> email into account.
>
> Then your first question confuses me. That email clearly says they haven't
> incorporated. That means they can't have signed the chapter's agreement,
> since there is no entity to sign it... (To my knowledge, chapter's
> agreements are always entered into by chapters in their own names, not by
> individuals.)

That's correct.

And to Mike's second question: the group is not _barred_ from seeking
recognition as a chapter once more.  It can do so at any time.  As things
stand, though, the group does not meet AffCom's criteria for chapters, so
if attempted right now, the group would not attain recognition.  That fact,
combined with the availability of the User Group model of affiliation,
seems to suggest an easy low-commitment path for the Kenyan group to
develop.  As Bence pointed out, a successful Kenyan WUG could well be the
basis for a future chapter.

Cheers,

   Asaf
--