[Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia in jail!

Joshua Gay joshuagay at gmail.com
Fri Jun 28 13:52:16 UTC 2013

> * We will try to encourage prisoners to contribute and try to animate

Wikipedia centric activities - similar approach as in the Afripedia project.

Regarding the asynchronous contributions: This is a pretty complicated
> topic which (often) deals with challenging technical and cultural
> issues. But discussion if pretty open and new experimentations are welcome.

If users can not have direct write access to Wikimedia projects, I wonder
if a proxy system could be set-up whereas they could write letters and the
letters get scanned and posted. Instructions could be provided in offline
versions of Wikipedia and whatnot that would tell people to write a letter
to some address (maybe they could provide a username in their letter).
Volunteers could then scan those letters and upload a file attachment
(and/or transcription) of that letter to the user page. When possible, such
users could provide instructions on how to write to them.

Ideally, I would imagine such a project being set-up outside of Wikimedia
and simply providing for a way for people without write access to the
Internet could do such a thing. However, in the meantime, I think setting
up a Wikimedia by Proxy project separate from any one project under the
Wikimedia umbrella could be a nice way to begin.