[Wikimedia-l] Erik Zachte on bot-generated articles

Anders Wennersten mail at anderswennersten.se
Sun Jun 23 11:32:12 UTC 2013

The aim of introducing bots in sv.wp is not to beat any numbertarget but
to address a real dilemma facing us with a community with limited size.

Another mail made me look into how much there is of Togo in different
version. En:wp have around 600 towns, fr:wp around 250. sv:wp 5! (And
not much better in sv:wp for Brazilian baseballplayers) And even to grow
to reach 5% coverage for these categories is outside the capacity of our
community.

So for us botgenerated (or wikidatagenerated) "stubs" are the only
realistic option if we in our language want to give our readers basic
info of these type of objects.

Anders