[Wikimedia-l] If you are passionate about world hunger, sustainability and global issues please read this

Jane Darnell jane023 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 08:23:15 UTC 2013

Hi Alex,
I sense some frustration here. I think what you are doing is brave and
needed, and you could probably use some help. The pages on economics
and economics policy are some of the most neglected on Wikipedia (that
and plastics and ..., but let's not go into a whole list of neglected
topics, please folks) . I think your chances of finding like-minded
economics-oriented Wikipedians quite small, but sending random cries
for help periodically to this list will propably not help you find
those people.

Your main obstacle to success is your lack of knowledge about how
Wikipedia works. As Lydia politely pointed out, you have not even
tried to find out how your data could be included in WikiData, where
it could potentially be used by all projects in all languages.

As I see it, you have through your research located the data for
several countries. This is all good. Each source of data needs to be
defined on Wikipedia somewhere as an authority on that country's
economic data. So first you need a list of economic data holders per
country. Next these need to go on WikiData as list holders, and next,
the data can be filled in property fields per country municipality (or
whatever granularity of the data you are looking for). The data can be
aggregated or you can just use the list holder data at each level.

You cannot, however, just type in values of data without naming the
sources. That would qualify as original research, which is a no-no on
Wikipedia.

Hope it helps,
Jane