[Wikimedia-l] Funds Dissemination Committee first progress reports

Craig Franklin cfranklin at halonetwork.net
Sat Jun 15 03:43:35 UTC 2013

Thanks SJ for these thoughts, it's gratifying and encouraging that we have
a WMF trustee on the case :-)

While getting chapter staff to likewise review reports is a good idea,
there are two potential problems that I can see with it:

1.  Chapter staff may be unwilling to criticise the reports of other
chapters that they're hoping to embark on joint projects with, and;
2.  The various funding programs available through the WMF (FDC, GAC) make
no secret of the fact that they want staff to be doing programme work,
*not* administrative or overhead work.  It would be difficult for most
chapters to spare the resources to do this properly.

Perhaps the movement could look at getting an external firm in to do the
assessment?  It would probably be costly, but if the firm is properly
chosen it should at least minimise any COI concerns.  Of course, their
reporting can and should be supported by vigourous assessment by the
community.

Cheers,
Craig