[Wikimedia-l] PRISM

John Vandenberg jayvdb at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 23:13:47 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 8:15 AM, Luis Villa <lvilla at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> Hi, all-
>
> For your information, we have not been approached to participate in
> PRISM, and we have never received or honored an NSA or FISA subpoena
> or order.  If we were to be approached in the future, we would reject
> participation in any PRISM-type program to the maximum extent possible
> and challenge in court any such demand, since this sort of program, as
> described in the press, contradicts our core values of a free Internet
> and open, neutral access to knowledge.
>
> We should have a blog post up within the next few days to discuss
> PRISM and our values in more detail; we will pass that along here when
> it is posted.

Thanks.

Please put the draft on meta so the volunteers can review it and
identify phrases which are not tight enough.

e.g. "we have never received or honored an NSA or FISA subpoena or
order" is good (and far better than I've seen from Google or
Facebook), but ...

does that exclude all possible orders under the Patriot Act?
does that exclude orders from any U.S. Government agency?  e.g. FBI?

I don't know the answer to those questions, and I am sure the average
reader doesn't either.  It would be helpful to have a response with
has both precise language and broad statements that will ensure the
layman doesnt worry that WMF is dodging the question.

--
John Vandenberg