[Wikimedia-l] PRISM

Fred Bauder fredbaud at fairpoint.net
Mon Jun 10 14:18:32 UTC 2013

> It would be good *if* the WMF can provide assurances to editors that
> they havent received any national security letters or other 'trawling'
> requests from any U.S. agency.
>
> If the WMF has received zero such requests, can the WMF say that?
> There wouldn't be any gag order.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_security_letter says that the
> gag orders were struck down, pending appeal.  That means we may have
> to wait a while..
>
> --
> John Vandenberg

I know a college librarian who used to be in Naval Intelligence. He swore
up and down that should his library received such a request that he would
not honor it. There is a lot of blowback to this sort of stuff not only
by librarians but by people with intelligence experience. It seems very
unlikely we would have received one, not only because of it being
useless, but also because of the very high probability that our "outlaw"
organization would almost certainly disclose it.

Fred