[Wikimedia-l] PRISM

Fred Bauder fredbaud at fairpoint.net
Mon Jun 10 13:29:56 UTC 2013

They tap directly into the internet backbone. Only if there is some
particular matter which interests them which they would need our help to
decipher would they contact the Foundation. There are a few things out
there that I can imagine them being interested in, but very few. For
example, there are small groups of people in the United States that
support The Shining Path or the Naxalites. Active steps to open a
military front in the United States would probably kick them into gear
and they might be interested in who edited our articles on these subjects
as advocates for that tendency.

Fred

> If the NSA, CIA, or some other spook agency is getting information off
of Wikimedia servers, they don't have a CU account or anything like
that.
>  They'd have a program running at the operating system level that
> extracts
> the data in a standardised format and sends it off to some secret
server somewhere where it can be collated for data mining purposes.  If
they have
> some way of getting private information, it's going to be well hidden
and not something you or I are likely to (or capable of) stumbling
across.