[Wikimedia-l] Solving the China censorship problem

James Salsman jsalsman at gmail.com
Sat Jun 8 02:28:23 UTC 2013

If we transcoded the stoplist would we still trigger censorship in China?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Wikipedia_Signpost/Newsroom/Suggestions/Archive_20#Mentioning_Wikipedia_on_Chinese_Skype_triggers_surveillance

All centralized authorities engage in misguided attempts to impose content
restrictions on what they percieve as threatening. Asking others for their
opinions on how to counteract these mistakes is an integral part of
building reference material in general, not just encyclopedias.

I see no better solution than to institute such requests.