[Wikimedia-l] Blocking of HTTPS connection by China

Benjamin Chen bencmqwiki at gmail.com
Fri Jun 7 13:42:28 UTC 2013

Hi,

Since 31 May, China's Great Firewall has blocked the HTTPS connection to all language versions of Wikipedia, by blocking port 443 on two of our IPs. I was also told that service to Wikimedia Commons may be affected. Other projects, such as en.wikisource are not affected by this block (but they may still be subjected to keyword censoring on HTTP).

Compared to the previous short-lived half-day block, this time the block has been in place for a week and as usual no one knows if it will last for long.

Here is an article that has some explanation, some comments, and (their) opinions and suggestions for the Foundation.

https://en.greatfire.org/blog/2013/jun/wikipedia-drops-ball-china-not-too-late-make-amends

Regards,

Benjamin Chen / [[User:Bencmq]]